The famous Hoosac Tunnel is located in western Massachusetts.   Pan Am Railway's ex-Boston & Maine Fitchburg line now runs through it on the way to New York state. The area is deep within tree covered mountains, with a flowing river that attracts brave kayakers.  At the time of completion in 1877, the Hoosac was the longest tunnel in the world.  Even today, it is the longest east of the Mississippi River.  Many lives were lost during its construction, and through the years people have reported eerie goings on at Hoosac.  Eastern portal sometimes emits a ghostly fog.  It is just damp air, but the smell and feeling of that air can be quite eerie indeed!

The B&M electrified the line through Hoosac in order to lower the fumes train crews and passengers had to endure during the steam era.  Electric locomotives would help the trains from East Portal through to North Adams.  A few signs of the electric system still exist, such as catenary towers.

A railroad called the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington (or Hoot, Toot & Whistle) once connected with the B&M across the river from East Portal.

If you'd like more info and photos regarding the Hoosac Tunnel, please visit Jerry Kelly's website, Hoosac Tunnel: Then & Now.  You can also try
The commemorative plaque that was stolen from the East Portal in 2004
(click to enlarge)
This page was last updated on: November 30, 2015
HOOSAC TUNNEL station sign, sold at auction October 2005
Train EDRJ passes a remnant of the electric catenary before entering the East Portal (4/29/06)
The west portal and its metal storm door in 2010
Looking out of the East Portal, pre-electrification
(postcard view)
From an early 20th century postcard:  "Central shaft buildings erected after fire of 1867"
East Portal in 2007, with the date 1877 in stone.
Postcard view from the era of electrification that shows the system's catenary towers.  Also note the abandoned first attempt at drilling the portal. 
Work train at East Portal
(stereo view)
Postcard view looking out of the West Portal
Photograph showing Hoosac Tunnel Station on 9/29/40
These are the remains of the first attempt to bore the east portal, located to the left of the final portal (2006)
Postcard view showing the portal prior to electrification.
Postcard view showing B&M boxcab helper at East Portal during the  electrification era.
Railfan excursion, May 1938.   So much has changed...
(unknown photographer)
Stereo view of West Portal, photographed by B.W. Kilburn.
West Portal during electrical years.  Note wood storm doors